Wednesday, December 01, 2010

The Purs(e)uit of Happyness

The sight of my wallet fills me with envy- why can't my stomach be as flat! An academic existence of the padawan stage is never conducive to financial comfort. More times than most one would find oneself trying to make the twain meet in the monetary sense without having to sell any pertinent (or impertinent) body parts. The stipend which is supposed to do the Vishnu act and incarnate in our times of need usually behaves like Godot and leaves us waiting. Whenever I meet my comrades who have ventured into occupation land and the corporate jungles I am besieged by a sense of doubt. What the hell am I doing here living the life of an academic lounge lizard when I should be out there making money and picking up health destroying habits. After all I have the work-load, the deadlines, the sign-in register. All that is missing the inflow of Gandhis.

But then again the impoverished student life has all its cheapskate perks. Your student nature entitles you to be unashamedly cheap. And the cheapness maketh the experience all the better. Living on the fringes of bankruptcy, thwarting the harsh fates of destitution, we become one with nature and lose our earthly inhibitions. Which is why we can walk away leaving negligible tips, fight with auto-drivers for the last extra rupee. I can even composed a ditty to celebrate our poverty stricken contentment! Or may be not- considering I'm a little short on words and most of my vocabulary needs to be trained into my assignment. But either way, The point is that nobody can pull off pilfering sugar sachets at coffee stations or stealing all the somf at the restaurant or causing a food deficit at a buffet like an impoverished student. And we wear our badge of kanjoosi with pride: we got it free! :D
And so here's my ditty anyway-

The lily needs no gilding
The sunset needs no paint.
All the bills are building
But our hearts will not grow faint.
Our pockets may be empty
But they will not be joyless
As long as there are freebies
We can still survive coinless :D

Terrible I agree, but like I said, we are economising. Until later, Cheers!

13 comments:

চিরঞ্জিত ওঝা said...

The memories these words bring in :)

Ok now I'm hungry again.

Materialmom said...

To laugh or not laugh, that is the question......
............. or take the hint that my purse is thine oyster which you with this post will open

Materialmom said...

forgot to smile:

:)

AtomicGitten said...

Chee: Yes Masterji- these days are behind you aren't they :D
And you are always hungry :P

MM: :D Smile like you mean it :D And in delay lies no plenty (literally, in this case :P)

Da Rodent said...

Sigh! For me, even after the 'working' has started, the 'situation' has not changed. Sigh!!

AtomicGitten said...

Ah some things never change, Rodent my friend- I thought my financial woes were over when i started getting the stipend :P

Anush said...

I feel that all that talk about "there's only so much that money can buy" is actually true. At the end of the day there's nothing like a good laugh or an interesting conversation or a plate of hot sambar rice :)

So enjoy this feeling of being "moneyless". You are gonna miss it soon!

AtomicGitten said...

Um... somehow I doubt that :P
Sambar rice!! Why did you have to remind me of hot,happy,comforting sambar-rice?!! And it's 2am! Gaaah!

Joanna said...

The sight of my wallet fills me with envy- why can't my stomach be as flat!

And I say, "the sight of my stomach fills me with envy-why can't my wallet be so", after every delicious meal... :)

AtomicGitten said...

Joanna: It's the whole optimist-pessimist thing. You're seeing the stomach more than half full while I am seeing the wallet more than half empty :D Plus in my case i don't have to sight the stomach: it looms into my unwilling vision regardless of how much I try to ignore it :P

notgogol said...

Not somf ma, Saunf!

:)

AtomicGitten said...

You understood na- then what?!

notgogol said...

I'm allowed to be a pedant no?