Friday, March 02, 2007

Wrinkles and grey hair...



My mother always told me-It is not you who grows older, it is the others who do.

The fact struck me like lightning this morning as I wished my kid brother luck for his first board exam. And it seems just yesterday I was teaching him two plus two! It's sad how things change. Sure it's inevitable and all.. but...You know now he's not going to wriggle around giggling when you tickle him. Instead he'll scowl and hiss "Chechi behave yourself! Stop irritating me." You know all those silly games you played and the ridiculous jokes you used to cackle to will now have turned truly redundant... All of a sudden you have to stand on your toes to knock him on the head, when earlier he used to look up at you...

It's true. We don't grow older.. it's those around us who do. And though I'm so incredibly proud of the young guy who stands a head above me, I'll still miss that little kid...

3 comments:

Jan said...

Yes, it's sad. But the people who we become can be better in some ways than the people we were... Not that we won't miss who we were. Sigh.

Lovely and nostalgic, atomic.

[S]im[o]na said...

Wasn't it the other day we were discussing how old we were getting...?? This entry made me feel better thanks to ur mom's wise words! we are still small, everyone else is old! haha (keep dreamin, sim!!)

Nice work, girlie!

V said...

the knocking over head part is very touching