Thursday, October 30, 2008

While the world sleeps

The thing about being nocturnal is that you have so many experiences which most people who know only the sun don't. They don't get it. They never will either. They think you're crazy if you try to explain it. But I've been called crazy before; and if I am crazy ,it hasn't hurt me yet. So I try to put into words the cool shivers than chase up and down my spine when I walk into the night.

Insomnia is a sweet sweet drug- getting you high on the light silver mist that coats the darkness, seeping into your bones until you tingle with it. The stars smile into your eyes as you walk into the deep music of a hundred crickets harmonizing with the tenors and sopranos of the night birds and creatures.And in that pearl-like moment,cushioned in the soft flesh of time, you are awed by the singular beauty of what only you have. The night, the mist the breeze. They are yours. The multitude sleep unwary as you come alive in the depths of the dark. As new knowledge blooms in your breast,as the world and its sleepless life wraps itself around your soul,you become one with everything. You are the grass which bears you weight like a lover, you are the cool air that rushes into you like a possessing spirit. You are the little mouse scurrying in the dark to live, and the bird of prey that swoops on that mouse to live. You are the moonlight spilling like milk on the the world, you are the shadows that dance around the light.You are the center and the periphery. You are.

I take a deep breath and raise my hands to to the sky- letting myself diffuse like gas molecules into the night. Letting it carry me away in it's light breezy arms into a world away from the world. I walk and walk- and never feel the ground beneath my rubber-soled feet. The breeze picks up and my ears tingle with it's added whistle. The smell of dewy grass and moist earth fill my head until the words stop and the world stops...

The dawn breaks like a glass bangle on the black marble of the sky. The crickets have sung their requiem and the birds pick up the symphony. The flowers rub their sleepy eyes and raise their faces for the sun to kiss. The sleeping world opens it's eyes. But it can never open them like you have. You smile indulgently and breathe deeply. And wait for the night.

10 comments:

Jan said...

Sigh. This post is lovely and evocative. I feel as though I've taken a midnight walk just by reading it. And I know exactly what you mean, one night bird to another. And though I complain about the unfortunate diurnal habits of humans that make a nocturnal creature like you or me get up at 6 in the morning, the night wouldn't be half so beautiful if humans were mucking about in large numbers at night, don't you think?

Sigh. Here, the nights are particularly lovely, even now that it's started to get pretty cold. I especially love lying down and looking up at the stars and listening to the crickets as you mentioned.

Sigh. I dunno. This is just a very sigh-y post. Beautiful!

AtomicGitten said...

Thanks Jan, that's a really hefty compliment :D
I agree.It is the sense of being the only one around that makes the night so much more beautiful.The nights here are truly beautiful. It makes the campus seem ethereal. At some level the walks remind me of evenings on the terrace looking at the stars. That's probably why I love them so. :D

Jan said...

*hums "Yellow"*

Materialmom said...

It is not at all safe to go out alone at night.
Waking up at 3 in the morning is as beautiful an experience, perhaps better too, for you begin the day with peace beauty and calm.
I know Im being a musty, old, wet blanket.
Nice post. :)

ThalassicReverie said...

"And in that pearl-like moment,cushioned in the soft flesh of time,"
"The dawn breaks like a glass bangle on the black marble of the sky."

:) Nice lines...

This was cute:
" I'll get hold of my "ping lungi" and break into "I am a Malayalee""

AtomicGitten said...

Jan: *Head bangs at the guitar part* :)

MaterialMom: The wonderful thing about this campus that it IS safe to walk the entire night away. And there's nothing even remotely musty, old or wet-blanketish about you. You're just a morning person. :D

Thalassicreverie: Thank you. This, coming from you, is a great compliment :D

notgogol said...

am very dense to gather the essence of the piece, but was a nice read :)
If ever in bombay, stop by the lake on the IIT campus :)

AtomicGitten said...

NG: Lol! You get full marks for diplomacy :D Thanks all the same. And I will make it a point to check it out if I ever go to Bombay. :)

Binoy Jose Veleepalackal said...

Hi
just wanted to say your blog is good from the point of quality as well as content. Hope to hear divergent views in such beautiful form
Be-Know-Ya

AtomicGitten said...

Binoy: Thank you. :)