Monday, April 21, 2008

Beauty-fool

Back in the days when my mother had hopes for turning me into a beauty, we used to have lovely back-and-forths on the virtues of slathering the face with a variety of unidentified gooey objects. The major contention was gettin it applied. Seriously, how can you expect a healthy..er..hyperactive twelve year old to sit still for something as silly as a face pack? Of course once it was done, my brother and I had great times enacting monster attacks( no points for guessing who the monster was.)
Perhaps it's because of this traiing that face paint never bothered me. Niether did having to go on stage as a monster. Hmm...

Ah well, moving on- my mother's efforts slackened in between the school years, probably because she couldn't get her hands on me long enough. I thought I'd seen the end of it.But I was much mistaken. I left home to college with two containers of beauty powders pressed into a nook in my stuffed box. I admit I did apply them for a few days. I didn't have much of a choice- I used to be "reminded" to do it everyday. When the phone bills intervened, the reminding stopped, but then there was the guilt factor. So i kept at it for a while. Human nature saved me from falling into the clutches of beauty- plain laziness put an end to my beauty treatments.

The days turned to months, the months into years. The skin tanned, the hair mussed, but I continued uninterested. That is until the NoseRing Girl intervened. NRG is a babe of the first order. And she takes it as a personal offence to find someone not interested in personal grooming. Pretty soon I had to listen to blistering set downs for standing in the sun, not using cream, bla bla bla (Sorry NRG). And it's not just NRG. The aunties and uncles, not to mention cousins (traitors!), joined in. Every college break was punctuated with comments on the lines of- "Oh you used to be so fair! What happened?" or "Your hair!!..(shocked, tactful silence)". Still the human spirit in all it's resillience refused to be converted. I remained a slob. After a while the "advice" began to die down. They had finally given up at the sight of my unrepentantly unpretty face.

Or so I thought.

I return home for the brief space before the race restarts-A few weeks of relaxation while the rest of the family slogs (hah hah hah!). I get woken up in the morning by a mother who in the middle of rushing to work remembers to tell me- "Oh and put that thing on your face alright, it's good for your skin."

And here I sit in front of the computer looking like something from some B grade alien movie. Life has a distinctly ironic way of saying things never change.

5 comments:

Materialmom said...

Unpretty face?? Yours??
Those large eyes, those rosebud lips, the pearly whites,the cute chin, the lustrous hair,..... :)

AtomicGitten said...

Er...At a loss for words I revert to my native tongue- Kaakkakyu than kunju ponn kunju. :D
All the same, thanks. You should go into advertising :p

Jan said...

Oh no! *horrified look* Noooo...

Sigh, you have fallen into the evil, shaped, buffed, de-cuticled, manicured, painted talons of Beauty the Beast! Ah, how the mighty have fallen. I mourn the loss of a fellow warrior of the realm of sloppiness. Sigh.

R.I.P (those nails off!)

Anush said...

well ya, everyone is allowed to try [:)]

AtomicGitten said...

Jan: You jump to conclusions!! It takes more than a silly face pack to bring down me! :P

Crazybugga: Yes,it's the "Triumph of hope over experience." :D