Monday, May 19, 2008

Hairy Tale

I think it started with Rapunzel and Sohrab&Rustam.

This fascination with a feminine head of flowing,glossy locks has endured and even grown through the ages. And now it's transferred to the masculine head as well- pioneered by Mahendra Singh Dhoni,Vikram and for a while Amir Khan to name a few. My family has always had issues with my hair. Especially my father and brother. Coming from a stock of Class A Mallus, they maintain that long flowing tresses are an essential for the enhancement of female beauty. And no argument- reasonable or otherwise- can ever convince them otherwise. It's all my mother's fault of course! She's the one who set the precedent. Whenever I passionately champion the wonders of un-long hair, they merely turn and point to her.But surprisingly, or perhaps unsurprisingly,she had always been my staunchest supporter in the cause of manageable short hair. But that reprieve didn't last long.The number of things done to my poor tresses outnumber the number of things done to my face(refer to previous posts).But like my face it has remained firmly untamed. In fact, my mother actually had plans of taking me along while she tought Shelley's Ode to The West Wind. She wanted to give them a clear picture of "maenad's hair" (for the ignorant- go read the poem).

It's not that I don't like my hair- I love my hair ,I really do. It's distinctive and very like me: messy, notorious and a not a little scary. Since it's so much like me, isn't it the natural course of things that I carry forward the similarity and keep it short? I remember that glorious time when the hair-lady had made a mistake and bobbed off my mid-back trail.I didn't have to really comb it for ages! A lazy girl's dream. But then it grew...sigh. But all said and done, my hair does look nicer long. When it's short I look more like a hobbit than ever. But then it's such a bother... It seems my hairytale has no happy ends-they are all split.

And why am I writing about this? I've been charged with getting a haircut. Why am I not rejoicing, you ask? Simple- there are instructions. Left to my own devices I'd just take a pair of scissors and snip away. But noooooo. It has to be done in a system. I should go to a stylist and get a trim as opposed to a chop. And I have to make sure that it swings just so and that the "volume" (isn't that something in stereos?) is maintained and GAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!The physics, and lately the chemistry, of hairstyling-especially female hairstyling- is hair raising. The names itself require a hundred page glossary. The prospect of journeying into the tangled lands of beautiful hair makes my hair stand on end. Ah why oh why are we put to such tests!? Is it not bad enough that we have a facial hair ripped off to appease beauty. Must we bow our heads to these edicts as well?

May be I'll just make a trip to Tirupathi, what say?

6 comments:

Anush said...

i was eating dosai with thakkali chutney while reading ur post. I put one piece in my mouth before starting to read. I put the next piece after i finished reading.

are u this interesting in person as well? i wud like to know more about u, unless ofcourse u look like a female TR (given tat u rip off ur facial hair), in which case we shall just be good blog-buddies. Nothin more.

AtomicGitten said...

Lol! It's probably because you were eating it with thakkali chutney that caused the lull. :D As to whether or not I'm as interesting in person...nah I'm not. I'm more heh heh heh :D
Female T.R? God forbid! And you obviously have no idea of th atrocities being committed on the female visage in the name of grooming.
And aren't we good blog-buddies already? :)

Jan said...

It is all a conspiracy of the power-hungry patriarchy I say! It goes back all the way to prehistoric times when cave men used to drag the poor, benighted cavewomen by the hair into their caves... Since then hair has become a medium for control and dominion! Hehe... Forget about the haircut, babe! Long and medusa-like is the way to go! :D

Materialmom said...

I am reminded of the bald mannequins in shop windows. Also some super models who sport clear scalps. But then who looks at their heads? :)
Nice post. liked the split end to the hairy tale part.

Materialmom said...

Check out no.6 on ur blogroll- coincidence or what

AtomicGitten said...

MM:Now THAT'S coincidence!